Throughout the academic year the Planning Lab provides graduate students in planning, design, natural resources, and public administration & policy with a multidisciplinary learning experience through studios, course assignments, and weekend modules. Students have the opportunity to examine lessons from a cross-section of different sustainability plans adopted by communities throughout the US and abroad and share those with practitioners and policymakers.
- Understanding the conceptual foundations of sustainability plans and policies
- Connecting academic theory with emerging planning practices
- Identifying the different types of sustainability plans/policies and the challenges that communities and planners confront in their design, adoption, and implementation
- Developing a methodologically sound approach to dissecting and evaluating sustainability plans
- Creating an inventory sustainability plans adopted by regional and local governments within the United States and abroad